Thursday, February 4, 2010

Where in the World is Chuck? part 3

Why would anyone beg God to release them from their ministry?

Any church planter, or pastor, would love to have been a part of our 1st year. It was truly a honeymoon...a match made in Heaven. I was allowed to really express my creative side! Things were wild! Things were wild and I loved it! I said so many times "I never knew ministry could be so fun!"
Remember, I grew up in the typical old boring church where everything had to fit neatly and everyone had the look of perfection. We had shattered all of that! We were reaching people that would never come to church. Even more, a lot of these people would never be allowed in most churches.
Our auditorium was full every week of brand new Christians. Our parking lot was full of cars with bumper stickers that made even me blush. Yes, we had outgrown everything in the first year. WOW...everything was exciting. Even the challenges of growth was exciting. I mean, if your gonna have problems...and you will, you might as well have growth problems! Right?

So, to over come the growth issues we began to look for a new space!

But there was massive problems.
1. We were broke! That's right, we were just barley keeping the lights on. Salaries became a thing of hope...not assurance! There was not enough funds coming in to build or buy land or both. If we did not move it was going to hurt our growth. We couldn't move because we did not have enough money.

2. Spiritual War! What? Yes, spiritual warfare was far greater than anything I could have ever anticipated. I know that Satan has a job description, and that job description is to kill and destroy. But for some reason I just thought that Jesus would shelter us from all of that.

3. Failure! I know, tons of people coming to church, tons of people giving their life to Christ and tons of people baptized...How can you even use the word failure?

Catch up with me tomorrow and I'll explain failure!

No comments: